Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Broccoli Mushroom Orzo Salad

     Tonight, I needed to make dinner but didn't have any ideas. I was watching Food Network like usual, and they were demonstrating a rice salad with scallions. So I decided to raid my fridge and pantry to see what needed to be used up or sounded good. I ended up finding broccoli, mushrooms and orzo. So without further ado this is what I pulled together.

Broccoli Mushroom Orzo Salad:

1 tsp. olive oil
1 onion, diced
1-2 heads of broccoli, cut into florets
1 container of mushrooms, sliced
1 1/2 c. orzo
1 can black beans
1 recipe of your favorite vinaigrette (I used this Balsamic Vinaigrette without the garlic)
1 tbsp. dried basil
1 tbsp. dried oregano
1 tbsp. dried parsley


Saute onion and mushrooms in the oil over medium heat until tender. Boil or steam broccoli until tender. I boiled it for 2 minutes. Cook orzo according to directions on package. Make your favorite vinaigrette recipe. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Can be served warm or at room temperature.

This is just a basic recipe from what I had on hand. Feel free to substitute your own ingredients that sound good to you! Some suggestions are to sub Quinoa instead of orzo, or adding carrots, and bell pepper.

 


Hope this inspires you! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment